Thursday, May 8, 2008

faves in the hood - pizza

deep dish, thin crust, cheesy or with the works. even the frozen stuff you get from stouffers. there's nothing like a fresh, hot pie though, and there are a couple of places in my nabe where i have tried a slice or two but i prefer Luigi's on the corner of 88th street and first avenue. they make alot of different types of pizzas and some very good italian dishes too. they have really good calzones, meat rolls and garlic knots. Luigi's is also just a couple of blocks away from my apartment, and right on the way to and from the subway so that makes it very accessible for when you need a quick slice. the price of their slices has just gone up thanks to the inflation; but definitely still worth it. i remember when i was in grade school and living in yonkers and my friends Kenny and Henry and i would sneak to our favorite pizza place downtown to buy slices, which were then 25 cents each. no kidding! i'm really showing my age; but its the truth! the first pizza i ever had was in Cuba when i was about 5 years old. it was a huge thing back then, and there was a place near where i lived with my family in Havana that made deep dish shrimp pizzas! those were my favorite then and i can still taste the sauce and the thick, chewy dough and those delicious shrimp all over it. i love pizza, and the most i've ever eaten is actually an entire pie by myself. well, if you see yourself on the upper east side looking for a slice you can take it from me, Luigi's is the place.


LUIGI'S

No comments: